Wednesday, May 9, 2012

To Elliptical or Not to Elliptical...

I woke up this morning to no electricity. It sort-of throws me off. My day has changed. Not only can I not make coffee..I find I have a lot of extra time on my hands.

I can't vacuum or throw in a load of laundry or do the dishes that magically appear in the sink durning the night. I like the quietness of my house. No news on, or radio~ just the sound of Aidan playing with his cars at the kitchen table. I do not like the silent treatment my Kuerig is giving me, but, I don't take it personally. I even think about the things I can't do but probably wouldn't do even if I had electricity..like iron.

 It looks  like we are having cereal for breakfast, or maybe cheese and crackers..hm, even the Ben and Jerry's is looking like a very practical option. No electricity required for THAT! Hey, I will even eat it straight from the carton as to not dirty up a bowl.

Spoonful after spoonful and all this extra time on my hands..it occurs to me that I COULD get on my elliptical. Just a fleeting thought, that I try to ignore. Heck, I have been ignoring the whole room it occupies for weeks! I just walk by thinking hm..wonder what's in THAT room. But, it's hard to miss. It sits in the middle of the room like a piece of featured art. Any decorator would have to say I was using it as my "focal point." The only thing it's missing is a spot light shinning down.

It's been so long that I'm a bit embarrassed about it. I find myself thinking about donning a pair of dark  glasses and a big floppy hat and going incognito~ wondering if I could fool my favorite inanimate object. But, then I imagine it saying "My you seem very familiar...and yet, maybe not. You are much heavier, you obviously couldn't possibly own an elliptical. And, to tell you the truth, you look like the kind of person who would eat Ben and Jerry's  for breakfast......"

So, what do I do? Get in the car and go to my favorite coffee shop.  I wave to the power company people and I think I  smile...a no coffee smile. I think one side turns up. I give them the PLEEASE hurry expression...like my life depends on them getting their job done. I think they feel my pain. Or maybe they just don't like working in the rain.

Ah..my first cup of coffee...and it's 2pm. Life is good.

5 comments:

  1. hahahah GREAT post. I love the "I think one side turns up" description of the no-coffee smile. I know that one well! As for the Ben and Jerry's... you're doing it a favor by eating it. If the power's out for a long time, it would GO TO WASTE!!! And we can't have that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I always wonder, when reading your posts on FB, why it is that you don't just take up writing. You have such a unique way of expressing yourself. How nice to be able to share in your thoughts! Thanks Kelli!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No coffee until 2:00 pm, that is a crime!!! How did you make it thru your morning without coffee!

    ReplyDelete