Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Ties That Bind

A visit to the hospital last night prompts me to write about friends. Girlfriends.  I have always loved the sound of that word.

This particular friend was in the hospital because her female organs decided to take a break. They all decided to lay down. They had helped with the birth of five children, and they were tired! She is all patched up now and she said she is thankful she could keep all her parts:) I know how she feels.

She said a very interesting thing last night. She had been reading about how our organs have a "memory".  She wanted to keep her uterus, it remembered her children. I have thought about that for the last several hours. Maybe that is why when a doctor once told me he would just "take the uterus, because I didn't need it anymore" gave me such a heart pain. Take my uterus? .....I didn't need it? ...but, it remembered my children.

I have know this group of women going on three decades. Durning my friends hospital stay, I learned about the death of my other friends mother. Three decades allows plenty of time to see each other through childbirth, divorces, the death of a spouse and parents, remarriages and the ups and downs of our lives. The good, bad and the oh so ugly.

Some say friendship is an art. I guess that means it could be up for interpretation. It's definitely valuable, a treasure and an investment. We have made deposits and withdraws into and from each others lives for many years. The dividends are sweet.

"My friends are my estate"~ Emily Dickinson

These are the ties that bind. We are coming full circle.














3 comments:

  1. Well said Kelli! The players may change but the sentiments remain the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said! Girlfriends are such a precious treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "deposits and withdraws into and from each others lives". The dividends are the best! This just makes me smile. My Girlfriends make me a better person.

    ReplyDelete