Monday, July 2, 2012

When The Wind Blows....

When the wind blows, you lose some things. Like trees..and electricity. It's been several days now since we have had electricity. People are starting to feel the pain...like this person:)

But, some interesting things have happened, and it has reminded me of a story:

A ship lost at sea for  many days suddenly sighted a friendly vessel. From the mast of the unfortunate vessel was seen a signal: "Water, water! We die of thirst." The answer from the friendly vessel at once came back: "Cast your bucket where you are." A second time, the signal, "Water, send us water!" went up from the distressed vessel. And was answered: "Cast down your bucket where you are." A third and fourth signal for water was answered: "Cast your bucket where you are." The captain of the distressed vessel, at last heeding the injunction, cast down his bucket and it came up full of fresh, sparkling water from the mouth of the Amazon River.

Sometimes, when we need help, we find it right were we are. Neighbors are looking out for each other, offering their refrigerators and freezers, showers and cool air. Churches are set up to provide water, Gatorade and snacks. The conversations in coffee shops and bakeries (you can see where I have been spending my time) turns to who has electricity and what the time table is for others to expect it.

When I cast my bucket down where I am..l like what I am pulling up. It's refreshing. I like seeing the basic goodness in people.

But, I'm thinking I can only be good for so long...:) I miss having electricity. I don't like sweating inside my house when I haven't even been on my elliptical. Maybe our neighborhood is "too nice". I don't see any power company trucks in our area..maybe we aren't complaining enough. Maybe I need to find a woman is who in full blown menopause and ask her to become our leader:)

The heat is playing tricks on my mind. I'm a bit foggy headed. You know those moments when you go about looking for your glasses and they are on your head? Or, when you are looking all over for your phone and realize it is on your ear? This morning I couldn't find my bra. I look down and  realize it is right where it is supposed to be, and doing a mighty fine job at it if I do say so myself.

When and if I get my power turned back on:

I will really enjoy seeing my refrigerator filled up again. I will love listening to music in my kitchen and get the homey feeling I get when I prepare a meal. I won't even mind doing the dishes. I will LOVE taking a hot shower and getting out and feeling cold!

Maybe I will not complain as much after I open my electric bill. Maybe I may even decide to turn off my air-conditioning and enjoy a natural sauna. Maybe I will take a cold shower for fun, and let my hair air dry....................................................Maybe:)







2 comments:

  1. Hope you all get power back very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so funny. Need some fridge space or a cool place to hang out? Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete