Tuesday, July 31, 2012

When Life's A Blur

.                      .
 First it was my legs, now it's my eyes. Actually, my eyes have been going for some time now, I just chose to ignore it. I'm  good at that.
I became aware of  it while trying to order from the frozen yogurt menu. I noticed that when older people start to lose their hearing, they smile and nod a lot, and just act like they can understand the conversation. I looked at the menu board smiling, pretending to read it, nodding and wondering what kinds of exotic flavors I might be missing...then I'd say "Chocolate please." Surely chocolate is up there.

Chocolate, it has never failed me.

The opthamologist said: "This is the line the DMV is concerned about." Silence. What line? I can't read one letter, not one. Um...I look over at my handbag where my license is tucked away. Is she going to request that I hand it over immediately? Is THAT why things are so slow over at the DMV? Are they constantly being called over to the local Opthamologist's office to confiscate licenses from little old ladies? Is this an example of the public and private sectors working together?

She turns a nob. "Is this better?" ~Oh yes! MUCH better! She moves it again.."How about now?" Perfect! There is hope for me! I can't believe they are letting me drive away from here...
I'm a menace to society. And, I am definitely a menace to wildlife..

My tires have had some major contact  with the local squirrels lately. I imagine dozens of them picketing my entrance into the Pearly Gates...holding little signs that read: "SQUIRREL KILLER!" Or  "HEY! CAN'T A SQUIRREL JUST CROSS A ROAD?"
I say "But, I couldn't  SEE you! I thought you were just rodent bumps...er, I mean bumps in the road..I mean, you FELT like bumps.." (little squirrely bumps...) I wonder if my recent eye exam can be my defense? Better bring a note from the doctor just incase...

There is a woman at the eye doctor's whose job  is to help you find the perfect frames. She looks at the shape of my face and my coloring. She pulls several frames from the displays. I sit in front of the pile and try one on after another. The excitement does not build. I pull my hair up into a faux bun and put the pair on that I believe will make me look like Sarah Palin. It's lost in translation. She says: "Um, I have a few in the back I would like to try." Oh no, they have a stockpile in the back for problem eye doctor appointment people...like me.

But, then I start to get a little excited! It feels like being in Chinatown when they bring you into the back, back room..where they store all the really exciting fake Louis Vuittons! She says: "I like these on you. They give your face a lift."

Whoa...she's good! This woman knows the buzz word for women my age. Almost every undergarment and all of my cosmetic products have the word "lift" in them. I point to another pair. "Do these give my face a lift?"( Because they are half the  price :)

It took me two seconds flat to pick out my cute Kate Spade sunglass frames that they will use with my prescription. I will wear those to drive durning the day. Who cares what I wear to see driving at night. It's dark! I mean, I don't exactly have a red carpet lifestyle..heck, I don't even take vacations! A vacation to me is sitting in a coffee shop and reading about people who take vacations and who need things like "safe words":)

Sometimes I imagine Jesus sitting in my passenger seat. But, he has to love me with two eyes OR four eyes. I like to tell Jesus how I would run things if I were he:) Sometimes, I remind him to put his seatbelt on...then I remember whom I'm talking ! ..:)

I tell him all my puny problems, just in case he has been busy. I mean, it IS an election year. Then, I unload the big problems. I tell him I feel a bit like a target. I can feel the arrows whizzing past me. Sometimes I take a hit. But, one has yet to hit the Bullseye...the one that would take me out. I am thankful for that. Thankyoujesus.

I look over at him and say: "This body you gave me is failing me Jesus." He says: "You won't need it  much longer. It's not your real home anyway."  Ah..to be free of this body...

 Actually, I am asking Jesus for some pretty big things. But, they are not things that require the visual.   They sort of fall into the range of "walking by faith, and not by sight." I am asking for things one cannot see in the natural. I believe it to be so.  These are the kind of prayers my Lord likes. "Blessed are they that have not seen, yet they believe."

I am looking forward to seeing this prayer answered. But, even more, I am looking forward to hearing it....straight out of Aidan's mouth.

I believe it to be so.

I just got a call that one of my pair of  glasses is ready for pick up. One of the nurses said: " I bet you can't see the leaves on the trees." No, I guess I can't. I see a brown trunk, and a  green mass around it. I think I must see the world like a lovely Monet painting. No wonder I love the Fall so much. It's just one beautiful color bleeding into the next.

I wonder if I want to leave my blur of a life. But, then there is the license thing....and of course the whole squirrel thing....

I know I don't see images on the TV well. Maybe after I get my glasses, I will watch one of my favorite movies. Maybe Brad Pitt is just an average ordinary looking guy..........nawh........:)




No comments:

Post a Comment