Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Spice Of Life

Last night my co-workers and I sat around a big table in a noisy sushi bar to say good-bye to our fearless leader. She has a wonderful opportunity ahead of her so there is reason to celebrate, but at the same time, it's hard to see her go. We will miss her..and all she added to our five-some.

We all started working together in a beautiful little independently owned gift/home decor store. We all loved it there. Loved the beauty of the store, the customers, the products we sold and we grew to love each other. We are from all different walks of life, different ages, but something special started to happen. We spilled out our lives to each other. And, with five women sharing details of their lives, there is enough material there to write a pretty exciting book...talk about Fifty Shades......

But, our little store closed. I remember sitting around another table, clicking our wine glasses and saying a sort-of good-bye to each other and promising to stay in touch. And we did stay in touch, because we all ended  up getting jobs together in another little store just a few doors down. Like some kind of group  hire.

So, there we were, our little work family, just in a different house. When does THAT ever happen? We are usually stuck with our families. This time, it was in a good way. The kind of stuck like when you are on vacation and the flights are all canceled and you have to stay in paradise for an extra day. Ok. Or when the plane is too crowed and you are asked if you would mind being bummed up to first class. Ok.

NOT like the kind of stuck like in a traffic jam..and you just know your car is going to over heat, and you have to go potty. One time, when I live in California, I was stuck in a traffic jam. If there is an accident anywhere near the Bay Bridge, you better be prepared to be stuck. I will never forget when the door of the car in front of me opened and a women got out, squatted and ....went potty. I couldn't believe my eyes, but I couldn't blame her..she had a beautiful car..can't tinkle in THAT. And, beautiful clothes...can't show up somewhere with a urine stain, not to mention the smell. Especially if she had eaten asparagus the night before...hehe. After I had children, I decided that all women should store a diaper in the glove box. Just in case.

Last night, as I thought about the five of us. I  decided that we were like a spice rack. We added flavor to each others life. Since I am writing this and I get to pick my spice, I chose Ginger. Why not? When I was young and watched Gilligan's Island I used to ask myself if I would rather be sweet Mary Anne, or the spicy Ginger. Ginger wore evening gowns everyday...I realized that's all she had packed on that fated trip...that started from that tropic port, aboard that tiny ship..a three hour tour...a three hour tour:) But, I feel like that would probably have been what she preferred. Her life's uniform. But, no, I was a Mary Anne. So, now I want to be Ginger:)

Joyce would definitely be salt. There is a woman who has your back! One of the most generous thoughtful women I have ever known. The salt of the earth.

Anna, she would be cinnamon. Cinnamon is apart of everything sweet. Everyone likes cinnamon. Everyone loves Anna.

Catherine, now she's rare. Beautiful, humble, quietly living her life doing fantastic things. She has written two books. I just know I will see her on Amazon...I just KNOW it. Catherine would be saffron. It's  hard to find the real thing, but when you find it...you know it.

Ashley, the woman we were celebrating....sweet incredible Ashley. The one  who rose to the top to become our store manager in just a short time..just like the cream that she is:) It was wonderful seeing her talents come into the forefront. In a blink of an eye, she had everything organized, clean  and beautiful. Her absence will be a complete loss to the store. The owner still hasn't come out of the gas about losing her.
 Ashely, she would have to be Allspice. There just isn't anything she can't do. I admire her, and will never forget her.

Oh,  what a sweet family, the kind to be stuck with....in a good way.

4 comments:

  1. Love your mom...and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha is the diaper for the mom or the kids?? Because if for the mom, well, that's just genius!! Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Exactly! For the Mom's! You know how absorbent those are! lol

    ReplyDelete