Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lazybones

My daughter makes coffee in the middle of then night. Don't ask me why. Last night, in her sleep coffee drinking mode, she must have missed her cup because there was a little of the vanilla syrup she uses in her coffee forming a perfect little puddle on the counter.

I wouldn't have even seen it, if it wasn't for all the little black dots surrounding it.

Ants.

Ants. How do they know? How, from their little ant hills outside, do they know that if they come to my door, (after all, it does say "Welcome")  take a left, and to the right of the sink, they will find a delicious little puddle of sweet sticky vanilla flavored syrup?

They really didn't have to make the steep climb up to the counter. They could have feasted on all the little cracker/cereal crumbs that Aidan left as an offering on the floor. Maybe that was the fore course.

But, they were determined to get to the good stuff. "Onward marching soldiers!" Their leader must have said.."Keep your eye on the goal...we are almost to the land of milk and honey syrup..I can smell it!" And, they follow, because ants work together like that.

What foresight and industry little ants have; those feeble little creatures who help each other and carry one another burdens. Who, like thirsty animals in the african dessert , take their chance that a crocodile may at  any time burst through the water as they sip the cool liquid. Just as I hover above them with my paper towel......

My daughters favorite verse as a child was Proverbs 6:6. I read this version this morning:

"Take a lesson from the ants you lazybones, learn from their ways and become wise"

There is a lot to learn from the little ant. How funny of God to tell us to look to the ant for wisdom.
Oh to be wise, to learn the wisdom of it, and become wiser still.

I think I'll be like an ant today. And find the sweet side of life.
Oh to be an ant~see ya at the puddle!


No comments:

Post a Comment