Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Little Things Long Remembered

We went outside to wait for the bus. We hear it first, then see it turn the corner onto our street. Aidan is super excited! I can't believe this day has come.


He boards and picks a seat. He has the choice of them all because he is the lone rider on the bus. He doesn't seem to mind.

The aide on the bus in a gentle man. He looks like every one's grandfather and he smiles at Aidan and buckles him in his seat.
We tell Aidan to enjoy the bus ride, to have fun at school, to be nice, to be kind..all the things that he already is... and we tell him we will see him after school.
Amie and I stand in our driveway and see that the bus driver is waving to us..I think she is trying to tell us not to worry, that he will be fine..he is in good hands. I know this to be true, only because we prayed over him this morning and put him in the right hands. Trusting God to hold his hand..that the grip will be tight..that he won't let him fall.

But,  I'm cynical
I'm doubtful
I need proof.
So, I ask for an extra measure of faith.
And He is faithful.

I'm glad our future is hidden from us. The Lord breaks our lives up into days..because it's all we can handle. With a rest before the next. I would never have never imagined that five years ago when Aidan was born, that we would be putting him on a public school bus (the little bus, with the aide) with two complete strangers.

Aidan is non-verbal, and he has low muscle tone in his mouth with makes him drool so he wears bandannas to help keep him dry and make it  not as noticeable. It makes him different. I worry that he will be teased, misunderstood and not easily excepted.

The schools Open House was not a great start. Everything seemed to fall apart.  Among other things, I  was sorry not to see Aidan's desk and cubby labeled.

And then I starting adding my own labels.
I labeled the teacher: Burned-out.
I labeled the school: Unorganized.

She who scatters thorns, should not go barefoot.

But, then the school called a meeting. Eleven of us, the school nurse, the special ed teacher, two speech therapist, two of Aidan's aides, the principal, a student teacher and his teacher, Amie and myself.(oh, and maybe that was Jesus as a fly on the wall..or that sweet aroma in the room, or maybe He was that peace that dropped into my heart)  We had a chance to verbalize our concerns and meet the people who would have daily contact with Aidan.

At one point, while the speech therapist was showing the others the system Aidan would be using, I raised my head from my note pad and looked at the faces around the table.

Team Aidan.

All these people would be working together to make sure Aidan had every opportunity to learn (in his own unique way) right along with the others. To have the same expectations and possibilities as the others.

Team Aidan. And then I did what I hate to do...cry in public. There was no stopping it. I was all at once, so very thankful for the help I saw sitting around that table. Someone got up and brought me a box of tissues. I think I signed "thank-you'..and I think they understood.

I can't wait to see Aidan when he gets home (On the little yellow school bus of course:) and hear what his fingers tell me about his day. I'm hoping to see the word "fun" "happy" and .......please Lord, "friends".

I better make room on the refrigerator...it IS kindergarten you know:)


4 comments:

  1. Oh man, way to make ME cry. Love this look into Aidan's first morning of school, cannot wait to hear about the whole first day! The picture waiting for the bus is soo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its impossible not to cry while reading this. You and Amie are two of the strongest women I know. Aiden is very blessed to have you both in his life. I hope he has a wonderful day today! -Katima

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the words "Team Aidan" I just cried. I am so glad you have a "Team Aidan"!!!!!
    You have a precious little; boy I hope his first day was all you and him expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me tell you what, Team Aidan is blessed to have a mama and a grandmama who are supporting, praying and encouraging. They had a box of Kleenex there for you because EVERYONE ends up needing them in those meetings. Because no matter how much you think you are talking about learning systems, IEPs, and aide coverage, what you are all REALLY talking about is a little boy. A little boy who needs people to be on HIS team. Together. United.

    ReplyDelete