Thursday, April 17, 2014

It's Cake'O Clock...again




Today is my birthday. Today, I officially become a senior citizen.

This is just very exciting....

I went on-line this morning to see what benefits await me today that weren't availably to me yesterday.
According to one website, I've been a senior citizen for the last five years.

This is just very exciting....

It's probably a good thing I didn't read that when I turned fifty. Fifty was hard. Fifty sounded very old. It took me awhile to get my mind around turning fifty. I could hardly say the word. Maybe it takes about five years to be able to say that particular f word, because I'm not having quite the same reaction to turning 55 today. (and that's two f words put together!:)  In fact, I'm  looking forward to claiming some of these old age senior discounts!


I've actually practiced it taking Aidan to the movies.
"One child and one senior citizen for the 7pm showing of Frozen"
I felt a little guilty pushing it by a few weeks, but this morning I read that movie theater discounts start at age 65. (I may need to go back to bed....) Why that little 18 year old didn't say "Ma'am, I'm going to have to see your ID...you can't possibly be a senior!" (and really LOUD so everyone could hear ) I will never know:)
Little whipper-snapper...

But anyway, old people need to look on the bright side of things. (we're headed towards the light and all that...)

We really are offered all kinds of nice little discounts! (I need to send that memo to Kate Spade...)

 In a hostage situation, I'd be one of the first released.


 As we age, the love for our country grows.  I think I could pull this look off:

Apparently our jewelry becomes functional. Because we fall, and we can't get up..

My memory is starting to slip. I can completely forget my point in a conversation midstream, but I've learn to fill in with complicated words like.......um.

I've decided I'm just going to start to call everyone "Sweetie" when I can't remember a name. Old people can do that..and it's one of the benefits of living in the South:)  I can be a little old school anyway. I like it when young people call me Mrs. Thomas. I like to hear "your welcome" to my "Thank you" (as opposed to "No problem") I have a strange desire to tell everyone I love them.

What can I say about this day? That things are mostly good ~ and that I'd like to be more like this guy:

                                       "I'm still learning." ~ Michelangelo- age 87.

Still learning. So much more to learn.
Somethings I hope I never forget. So, let me just remind myself:
(Because at this age, we write little notes to ourselves:)

1)  What I say, and how I say it..matters.

2)  When I feel a nudge or a general feeling to do something random for someone. Do it. Don't wait. It   will lose its impact if I think about it too much and will most likely end in the deed not being done.
                                         
 3) Just be brave.

 4) Things aren't fair. Stop looking for fair.

 5) There is nothing like saying I'm sorry..like saying I'm sorry.

And now I better get up and get moving...the clock is ticking:)












1 comment:

  1. Senior citizen, eh?
    Perhaps we should all aspire to be like Michelangelo. Maybe that is how he lived such a long a fruitful life; never losing that desire to learn, or never being satisfied that he learned enough. After nearly 40 years of being in the arts, I was told by a venerated master, for whom I have the utmost respect, “The more we know, the more we find out we don’t know… after all these years studying and training, were just seasoned beginners.”

    There are two related quotes from Michelangelo that come to mind, after reading your entry.

    “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.”

    …and

    “Faith in oneself is the best and safest course.”

    You are absolutely right! When you get the desire to do something…DO IT! You have that fire and desire, Kelli. Rarely do you meet someone with your wide range of [genuine] interest in various subjects, and especially people. I believe that is why so many people love, respect and appreciate you. So, like you said, get up and get moving.
    …and yes, by all means…be brave.

    ReplyDelete