Monday, November 5, 2012

Work It

Work. It defines us. We become what we do. We become a nurse, or a teacher a hair stylist, at least for the time we are operating in those professions. Some titles last forever. Like Mom. I'm not sure one can fully prepare and study enough for that title. That job requires on the job training! Our classes become life itself. This mostly happens in the kitchen and the laundry room. It's a blessing if you can work from your home for this job because the magic happens when you least expect it and it's nice if you can be there to see the reveal.

And, after a few years, the title comes with an upgrade. If you are fortunate, you can become a "Grand" mom. This is where the fun begins because you can be a little more loosey-goosey about things. You're not really in charge of things like how much sugar is in a particular cereal or if their clothes match. A Grandmother can go for walks and runs and trips to the library and bakery and then drop them off to the responsible people and go take a nap. Grandmothers are tired! We don't have to change the diapers or give the baths or brush the teeth but, of course we do....because it's all Grand.

I guess my first job was my yearly summer lemonade stand with my brother. But, that was back  when women (and little want-to-be women) only made 77 cents per dollar compared to  their brother. hmm...

I've been thinking a lot about work lately as my present job may or may not have legs to stand on. I love the women I work with and I will never forget this owner! That women is a trip! And one day I will write about her and change her name to protect the innocent and keep her out of jail.

I have my favorite customers. Like the sweet man who came in while his wife was in labor needing a "push present". This is an idea obviously invented by some spectacular woman. I mean, you need a present when you have to push that hard! But, if I were the man, I would hold up that present at the end of the bed so when the pusher is screaming "YOU did this to me!"he can remind her it will be well worth it.

Then, there was the customer who bought gifts for dead people. Yes, you read that right. Now, there is a gift that won't be re-gifted. Just don't expect a thank-you note. ( I personally wrapped that gift with extra care. I don't want any dead people mad at me...)

And, most recently, the man who came in to buy his wife her travel gift. Yes, you read that one right too. You see, when one travels, one needs a little gift...so the plane won't crash. Yep. This woman has her husband convinced that she needs a little piece of jewelry as a good luck charm before she boards a plane. (got to love his woman) We only found this information out as the gift almost didn't arrive in time...but, thankfully it came the day she travel! Phew!

Once again...the women at OAW making people happy (the customer is always right, no matter how weird)  and saving peoples lives!

All in a days work...........

1 comment:

  1. You guys seriously should write a book about that place :)

    ReplyDelete